A number of measures have been adopted at our hall to reduce our carbon footprint:
- We provide a wider range of activities within the community reducing the need for people to travel by car, and public transport.
- Renewable electricity is used to heat, light, and power the hall.
- We have inspected the hall with a thermal camera to highlight cold spots etc. and found and found that there are no major cold spots and the roof of our hall is well insulated.
- We regularly maintain our heaters to ensure maximum efficiency.
Consumption and waste
- Our Craft Nights focus on reuse/upcycling of materials some of which are sourced from Cambridge Community Scrapstore.
- We have been hosting Clothes Swaps for 2 years to combat ‘fast fashion’.
- We held our first Repair Café in September 2019. We plan on running 2 Repair Cafés a year to help reduce our local carbon footprint.
- At our events we try to use locally sourced food where possible and economical.
- Where possible we are switching to environmentally friendly cleaning products which will be refilled to reduce our plastic use.
- For children’s parties we have a party set available (plates, cups, bowls, cutlery) to reduce the use of single use plates and cups.
- We are a water Refill Station – you can use our kitchen to refill your water bottle during our public events. For more information see Refill.org.uk.
- We’ve reduced the size of our kitchen waste bin and added a recycling bin in the kitchen to encourage more recycling.
- We are a drop-off point for several community recycling schemes with Terracycle to recycle crisp packets, biscuit, cracker and cake wrappers, and oral care products.
- We are installing a water butt for watering the plants at our hall.